API RP 580 Risk Based Inspection - API Examination Preparatory
The course explains feasible means and alternatives for achieving a successful RBI program. It deals with RBI framework and methodology in a simple and clear manner to establish and implement a risk-based inspection program best suited for the company objectives. Its utility is based on the premise that a few vital equipment in a process plant contribute a majority of the risk. Consequently, if this high-risk equipment can be identified, then testing and inspection can be focused on them rather than several low risk items.
RBI helps to prioritize equipment for inspection, optimize inspection methods and frequencies, and develop effective inspection plan commensurate with the risk contribution and equipment condition.The API 580 RBI document will be discussed in detail in the class and the participants are expected to get ready for passing API 580 RBI Examination.
- Understand concepts and principles of Risk-based Inspection for risk management
- Explain why RBI Analysis is used the benefits and limitations of various RBI technologies
- Discover the types of RBI assessments, probability and consequence, management of risks and determine the relationship between RBI and other risk-based / safety programs.
- Prepare RBI plans, practical likelihood and consequences analysis, optimize maintenance and inspection intervals.
- Develop an understanding on risk management with inspection activities.
- Determine the need to conduct an RBI re-assessment if process and hardware change.
- Recommend suitable risk mitigation actions such as equipment modification, redesign and rerating, emergency isolation, inventory reduction, blast-resistant construction and more.
- Explore the various roles, responsibilities training and qualification for RBI application.
- Refining and Petrochemical Engineers and Inspectors
- RBI Team Members
- Plant Engineers, Non-Destructive Testing
Engineers, Materials and Corrosion Engineers, Plant
Inspectors responsible for managing the integrity of ageing process equipment, pipelines, boilers and storage tanks.
- Maintenance Personnel, operations supervisors, and process specialists who are expected to make decisions regarding the suitability of equipment for continued service.
- A working knowledge of basis equipment is recommended.
This training is highly recommended for any technical personnel (ideally with a few years of experience) who wish to gain knowledge on RBI.
This course is an ideal preparatory program for API 580-RBI Examination.
1. Introduction to Mechanical Integrity and Risk
2. Scope of API 580
3. Terms and Definitions
4. Basic Risk Assessment Concepts
4.1 Definition of risk
4.2 Risk Management and Risk Reduction
4.3 Inspection Intervals and Due Dates
4.4 Overview of Risk Analysis
4.5 Inspection Optimization
4.6 Relative Risk vs Absolute Risk
5. Introduction to Risk‐Based Inspection
5.1 Key Elements of an RBI Program
5.2 Consequence and Probability for RBI
5.3 Types of RBI Assessment
5.4 Precision vs Accuracy
5.5 How RBI Can Help to Manage Operating Risks
5.6 Management of Risks
5.7 RBI and Other Risk‐Based and Safety Initiatives
5.8 Relationship with Jurisdictional Requirements
6. Planning the RBI Assessment
7. Data and Information Collection for RBI Assessment
8. Damage Mechanisms and Failure Modes
9. Assessing Probability of Failure
10. Assessing Consequence of Failure
11. Risk Determination, Assessment, and Management
12. Risk Management with Inspection Activities
13. Other Risk Mitigation Activities
14. Reassessment and Updating RBI Assessments
15. Roles, Responsibilities, Training, and Qualifications
16. RBI Documentation and Recordkeeping
17. Summary of Risk‐Based Inspection Pitfalls
18. End‐of‐Course Examination
- All lectures are in colorful presentation
- All lectures are interspersed with interactive discussion
- All lectures include group discussion, case history and exercises
- Actual major incidents as well as industry experience are reviewed
- Participants receive a multicolor course manual
- Pictures of real incidents and case history are shown
- Videos on the subject are shown
daily 09:00 – 14:00